At a Glance
Type of School: Coed, public, non-profit high school
Location: 1637 Long Beach Boulevard near PCH (located near Long Beach, we currently serve students living in Long Beach, Lakewood, Carson, Wilmington, Los Angeles, Compton, and Orange County.)
Administration, Faculty and Staff: 14 (75% either hold or in the process of completing graduate degrees, including 4 Ph.D.’s.)
Student Adult Ratio: less than 8:1
Average Class Size: 22-24 students
IVA High prepares students for college and the 21st century through a blend of innovative, passion-driven, arts-integrated projects and progressive research strategies to engage students in a curriculum that exceeds state content standards and California's "A-G" university admissions requirements.
The goal of an intellectual virtues educational model is to foster meaningful growth in the personal qualities of a good thinker or learner: curiosity, wonder, attentiveness, open-mindedness, creativity, intellectual tenacity, and related traits.
Some specific program features include:
- Intellectual Virtues model of education with an emphasis on character development
- Cornerstone courses in humanities
- Meaningful math using real-world application
- Rigorous, hand-on, student-centered instruction
- Innovation Lab to explore passion-drive projects
- Advisory curriculum to support student development
- Individual College Counseling
Recent Demographic Profile
Our students come from 33 different schools and 18 different zip codes.
African American - 32%
Cambodian – 5%
Caucasian - 12%
Filipino - 2%
Hawaiian - 2%
Latino – 35%
Multi-racial - 12%
Accreditation, Membership and Partnerships
- Member of the California Charter School Association
- Partnerships with the John Templeton Foundation, Harvard’s Project Zero, Boston University, Intellectual Virtues & Education Project, LBCC, University of Southern California.
There are no enrollment requirements. IVA High is a public school that is free of charge and open to all students. There are no residential requirements. All students are welcome regardless of background, academic record, or special education eligibility. Interested students may submit an online application to start the enrollment process. When more applications are received than spaces, a public lottery event is held. IVA High is currently in Open Enrollment. For more information, contact us a 562.283.4456 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports teams and clubs include:
Rotation of Student Clubs
IVA High Student Ambassadors
Fashion and Design
Hip Hop Dance
Video Game Club