Work at IVA High
Interested in joining our welcoming, vibrant, and innovative community? We have several open positions at this time. Please contact email@example.com for questions, or submit your resume and cover letter for future positions. Please put the position you are interested in within the email subject line. Thank you for your interest in joining the IVA High community!
Who We Are:
We are a public Long Beach High School inclusive of all learners.
What We Do:
We empower learners to impact their communities while developing a deeper understanding of themselves, academics, and the world. We collaboratively engage in Project-Based Learning.
Why We Exist:
We co-construct an equitable, academically challenging community where learners connect, contribute, and belong. We prepare our students for college, career, and life.
Mission and Vision
Our mission is to develop the intellectual virtues within our learners and facilitators (qualities that foster critical thought, creative problem solving, and self-directed growth) in a thoughtful, challenging and supportive academic environment. We equip our students for the opportunities and challenges of college, career, and beyond, by equipping our students with intellectual virtues, including such dispositions as open-mindedness, curiosity, tenacity, and humility, which are woven throughout all we do. For more detailed information, please explore our website: www.ivahigh.org.
Our Staff and Community
Our staff is a critical part of providing a supportive and challenging education. Our teachers are highly qualified, come from diverse backgrounds, and approach learning with enthusiasm. We value relationships as an important component to school culture and collaboration, and see teachers as partners in all aspects of our community. We provide an energetic, entrepreneurial, and thoughtful organization dedicated to the growth of each of its students, and its staff. We work collaboratively with one another and provide a cross-curricular approach to teaching and learning.
IVA High is an inviting, joyful community where every student is cared about, known well, and appreciated for their unique attributes. IVA High partners with intellectual character experts from Boston University, Harvard University, Calvin College, Loyola Marymount University, and Biola University, which provides research for professional development, and training on progressive instructional tools, such as utilizing thinking routines and innovative, passion-driven, arts-integrated projects.
We are committed to instilling in our students a love for learning and an appreciation for intelligence in its multiple forms. Our talented faculty provides an outstanding educational experience that equips students with a strong academic foundation and valuable life skills. We employ a constructivist philosophy to allow students to continually reflect on their own learning, pose their own questions, and pursue answers in a structured, but personalized environment.
Job Description and Qualifications Include (but not limited to):
A Collaborative Partner for Teaching and Learning
- Attend weekly Professional Development aimed at better understanding and practicing an intellectual virtues approach to education
- Actively participate in the development and ongoing refinement of the school’s instructional program
- Assist the development and implementation of a network of student support systems
- Be involved in creating our school's culture
- Collaborate with instructional team to revise, edit, and improve lessons
- Support after school/evening activities, including extracurricular activities, field trips, parent conferences
- Participate in school-wide cultural events (e.g., assemblies, dances, intramurals, Exhibition of Learning)
- May lead one/two 12-17 student weekly advisory
- May provide after/before hours tutoring
- Substitute for other teachers as needed
- Document learning through photographs, or other creative means to highlight the story of learning and share with the community
- Other duties as needed
A Thoughtful Educator Willing to Think Outside the Box
- Develop a firm understanding of, and systematically implement, the core principles and practices involved with an intellectual virtues educational model
- Assess, evaluate and monitor students’ progress towards school’s academic and non-academic goals
- Provide differentiated instruction designed to meet the needs of each student
- Use assessment and survey data to refine curriculum and instructional practices
- Assist in intervention support
- Monitor and promote the social-emotional and physical safety and security of students
- Use (or aid the development of) the IVA High’s scope and sequence, aligned with Common Core, to develop unit plans and daily lesson plans when applicable.
- Submit lesson overviews to the Head of School and Associate Director of Curriculum.
- Develop a firm understanding of the IVA High’s nine “master virtues”
- Seek and participate in outside professional development to augment IVA High's PD
- Engage in ongoing self-reflection and self-assessment aimed at his/her own growth in intellectual virtues
- Model the nine “master virtues” in all interactions with students and other IVA High's stakeholders
Duties as they arise.
DOE: Teachers are placed on a salary schedule.
We are seeking candidates who have experience, or have an interest, in the following signature practices within our Intellectual Virtues Pedagogy:
- Thinking Routines
- Project-Based Learning
- Arts-Integrated Practices
- Making Thinking and Learning Visible
- Cross-Curricular Collaboration
- Socratic Seminar
- Inquiry-Based Learning
- Fish Bowl
- Direct Instruction
- Character Development
- Creative supplemental curriculum materials beyond textbook
Candidates need to be comfortable using technology.
- Google Classroom
- Google Calendar, email and google documents.
- Must be fluent in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Possibility of online textbooks, depending on course.
Candidate will need to be able to work in a fast-paced environment, be flexible with the needs of the school, balance responsibilities, be resourceful, problem-solve, be an active and approachable member of the school community, collaborate with staff, and be passionate about working with urban, high-needs students and families.
The ideal candidate will possess outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual candidates are highly desirable.
Part-time and full-time positions are available.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in joining our community.